In the realm of graphics design, image design and editing, there is no more powerful brand than that of Photoshop. ‘Photoshopping’ has even become a verb in its own right. While Adobe’s wildly popular software sets the bar for image editing software, it certainly doesn’t come cheap and is usually meant for professional use. Luckily for those on a budget, it appears that the older version of Adobe Photoshop CS2 is completely free to download and use. This is not a trial version, it is the fully functional retail version of the software.
The main drawback is that this version is over a decade old. For Mac users this is especially troublesome as it was built for PowerPC versions of Mac OS and will not run on a newer Mac unless you have additional software for backwards compatibility. However, for everyone else this version works perfectly fine and you certainly can’t beat free. Because it is such an old version, Adobe has stopped checking every user and license and is essentially giving it away to anyone. To download a version for your OS, follow these simple steps.
1. Go to this “Adobe site” to reach the download area.
2. Create an Adobe ID or sign in if you already have one.
3. If you’re creating a new account, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Check that e-mail to verify your new account and you’ll be linked to the downloads area.
4. Scroll down to Photoshop CS2 and click to download the version of Adobe Photoshop CS2 for your OS.
5. To the right of the download link is a serial number. Save it and use it to activate Adobe Photoshop CS2.
You should now have a fully working, albeit slightly dated version of Adobe Photoshop CS2 running on your computer. In some ways it’s a smart move by Adobe to simply let people try out the full version of their older software. Some users might be so pleased with it that they won’t be able to resist upgrading to the full version. So, get out there and get to editing those images!